RMG sector of Bangladesh is gaining ground in the world market at breakneck speed, but still not flourished at the fullest extent. Although the resources are available abundant with a powerful foundation of fabric and spanning sector to support. The key factors behind this are low technological development, lower output, cut throat competition, high raw material cost, inadequate infrastructure, traditional productivity, unfavorable regularity policies, and globalization in fact. However, there a fair list of the producers, suppliers, and exporters that are fully acknowledge with regularity policies and formalities, international marketing policies and procedures. The only concern is in executing their productivity initiatives, and meeting with order deadlines. Garments merchandising means the work to buy raw material and accessories to produce garments (Merchandise) against a particular work order of garment and have to export these under the same work order within time schedule, maintaining required quality level of buyer. The Merchandising is the important activities, term and section of a garment that is not possible to run and deliver successfully. The term “merchandising” is well known to the persons specially involved in garments trade. The term merchandising has been derived from the term merchandise. Merchandise means good that are bought & sold.
Merchandising is a business on marketing activities responsible for ensuring a products description both quality and quantity. Merchandising means total responsibility of a Merchandiser.
Merchandiser Duty of merchandiser describes himself like this-
- A man who collects order from customer sourcing raw materials production on time with quality and maintains lead time
- Garments merchandising means buying raw materials & accessories, producing garments, maintaining required quality level and exporting the garments within scheduled time.
If anybody has to be designated as Merchandiser then the word itself demands some qualities from that individual, now let us see what all are the hidden meanings there in the word „‟MERCHANDISER¨.
- M- Should have good Managerial
- E- Efficient in both English written and spoken.
- R- Having high sense of Responsibility.
- C- Always keep commitment.
- H- Leads honest
- A- Attitude should always be positive in resolving any problem.
- N- Never does any argue with buyers and seniors.
- D- Fully devoted to his service.
- I- Always well Informed about his all orders.
- S- Sincere in office and daily works.
- E- Enthusiastic in nature.
- R- Regular in e-mail correspondence.
Types of Merchandising:
Two type of merchandising done in garment exports
- Marketing merchandising.
- Product merchandising.
Marketing Merchandising: Main function of marketing merchandising is
- Product Development
Ordering Marketing merchandising is to bring orders costly products development and it has direct contact with the buyer.
Product Merchandising: Product merchandising is done in the unit. This includes all the responsibilities from sourcing to finishing i.e. first sample onwards, the products merchandising work start and ends till shipment.
Key responsibilities of merchandiser are as follows:
- Product Development
- Market and product Analysis
- Selling the concept
- Booking orders
- Confirming Deliveries
- Designing and Sampling
- Raw Material
- Flow Monitoring
- Production Follow Ups
- Payments Follows
- Internal & external communication,
- Lab dips
- Accessories & trims
- Preparing internal order sheets
- Preparing purchase orders
- Advising and assisting production,
- Advising quality department about quality level
- Mediating production and quality departments
- Giving shipping instructions and following shipping,
- Helping documentation department
- Taking responsibility for inspections and
- Following up the shipment.
Most importance things for a Merchandiser is
- Production Follow Up
The responsibilities of a smart Merchandiser are handling order at four stages.
- Sourcing for future orders/Buyers
- New Order
- Confirmed Order
- Running Order
Fabrics manufacturer in Apparel industry must be developed with the trend of market otherwise they cannot extend their business. To collect new buyer and business with them a company must follow the procedure of business development. Buyers have been chosen by two ways. Firstly, Buyer chooses the supplier and the second one sometimes, UNION Textile want to work with a particular buyer and then contact with them according to that. The UNION Textile China Ltd follow the procedure of business development, this are given below-
11.4: Business development procedure